Although the topic is subjective in nature. In my humble opinion, I believe that a lawyer / advocate can do well in any field provided that they have the requisite experience, skills and required knowledge at hand at that particular field. However, there does seem, that a trend exists – so this article will explore on the same and let’s dive into what more this field has to offer.
A good lawyer at best should be good at certain thigs – now this is common to all lawyers, students, advocates, barristers, or Judges etc., What are these skills?
- Reading, Comprehension Skills,
- Exceptional writing and or drafting skills,
- Communication skills should be top notch,
- The way he/she conducts themselves,
- Good analytical and reasoning skills with limited information at hand,
- Good judgement skills.
- Maintain the right attitude,
- Exceptional negotiation skills,
- Never take advantage of your clients – Keep best at interest of your client – Client comes first and foremost.
“At the point when an individual turns into a lawyer his connection with men, by and large, is represented by the general guidelines of the law, however, an advocate is administered by the exceptional principles of professional ethics of the Bar. The primary object of the ethics of the legal profession is to keep up the poise of legal professionalism and the amicable connection between the Bench and Bar. Chief Justice Marshall had observed:
“The fundamental aim of Legal Ethics is to maintain the honor and dignity of the Law Profession, to secure a spirit of friendly co-operation between the Bench and the Bar in the promotion of highest standards of justice, to establish honorable and fair dealings of the council with his client opponent and witnesses; to establish a spirit of brotherhood in the Bar itself, and to secure that lawyers discharge their responsibilities to the community generally.”
The points listed above are just few in compared to numerous factors at play that makes a lawyer – a successful lawyer. Including:
- Strategizing in a way to attract prospective clients and cases that can lead to profitable financial advantages,
- Talent or exceptional skills shown in a particular specialization,
- How you manage and promote your business,
- Quality of issues; like Pro Bono cases are done for the mere satisfaction to do something for the society without having to get anything in return.
Legal profession is such that if you choose any particular market, if you have the required skills – it can provide you with an opportunity to travel, great monetary satisfaction and maybe even a possibility to maintain a good work-life balance.
Arbitration is a form of alternative dispute resolution as opposed to court systems. So, you basically solve disputes outside a court of law. Arbitration has the same effect of that of court system and final “award” – judgement, is considered binding and final on the parties. The role of the arbitrator is that he/she acts as a neutral person and assists the client in resolving disputes without much hassle. The salary range for an Arbitrator job is from $45,878 to $65,674 per year in the United States.
The primary roles of “Judges preside over legal actions in a courtroom. Their powers and functions vary depending on their jurisdiction. Judges conduct the trial impartially and keep order in the court. They also announce a person’s sentence and interpret the meaning and implications of the law. The national average salary of Judges is $77,521 per year.” 
- Managing Partner
The primary role of a managing partner at a law firm establishes and enforces policies and procedures. They implement various programs such as orientation, training and counseling programs at a law firm. Managing partners also create a law firm’s organizational, financial and operational strategies, enforce ethical legal practices and prevent conflicts among specialty groups and service areas. The national average salary of a managing partner is estimated to be $79, 756 per year.” 
- Immigration Lawyer
An immigration lawyer is responsible for representing the individuals (clients) involved in the immigration process that includes legal, illegal citizens and refugees who want to reside in the country, start a business or get employment. Average salary would include $74,290.
- Family Lawyer
Family lawyer handle disputes within and outside family. These are majorly vast category of disputes within the sphere of family law ranging from: divorce, maintenance/ alimony of spouses, property disputes, guardianship, family estates and child custody etc., that salary $89,300. 
- Human Rights Lawyer
Human rights are rights that are inherent to us on the mere fact that we are humans. Human rights are guaranteed to us irrespective of creed, caste, religion or sex. In career as human rights lawyers, individuals defend human rights and hold belligerent groups, states and companies accountable in the court of law if they have committed human rights violations and abuses. The average Human Rights Lawyer in the US makes $131,786. Human Rights Lawyers make the most in San Francisco at $198,904, averaging total compensation 51% greater than the US average.
“The rights of every man are diminished when the rights of one man are threatened.”
– John F. Kennedy
7. Tax Attorneys: “Attorneys specializing in tax law usually represent organizations when dealing with federal, state, and local taxing agencies. Corporations and large companies pay enormous amounts for attorneys skilled in tax laws to protect their assets and create a tax savings plan. The tax laws in the United States are incredibly complex, and tax lawyers must stay on top of changes that can potentially impact their clients. Their day-to-day responsibilities are compounded by the need to continuously study the changing structure of tax law requiring constant research and continuing education. The average salary of a tax attorney is $101,204.”
As mentioned earlier, at the end of the day it also depends on the kind of skills and talent you possess. If you are good at what you do, or you can better or get exceptional by sharping your skills, every field of law can work at your advantage and provide you the financial independence you seek. Don’t forget even Mike Ross was an exceptional lawyer and he didn’t even write the bar!
 Professional ethics and accountability of lawyers - iPleaders  Arbitrator Salary in the United State | Salary.com  16 of the Highest-Paying Legal Jobs: Careers for Lawyers | Indeed.com  Ibid.  Immigration lawyer salary in United States (indeed.com)  Family lawyer salary in United States (indeed.com)  Human Rights Lawyer - Career, Role, Education, Jobs & Salary (careers360.com)  Human Rights Lawyer Salary | Comparably  What are the Highest Paid Types of Lawyers? - Atlanta, GA - Hasner Law, PC
Leave a Reply